Shannon Kane MSW, BSW, RSW, EMDRIA Member
I love what I do. I am constantly in awe of the people that come to see me. I am honoured to be part of hearing their stories. These stories have taken hold during some of the most difficult times of their lives and they now want to move through them, do some ‘healing’ and make sense of what happened. From my work, I know people want to be heard and know that something can help with the pain they are in. As a therapist, I will laugh with you and cry with you and help you to find exactly what you need.
I have always loved working with parents and mothers, but until I became a mother I didn’t fully understand what this transition was all about. I have two young boys and they are busy, loud, tiring, and oh… busy. I used to be described by people as loud, and was an energetic skating teacher. Now I have become more introverted and quiet and need different things in my life than I used to. Being a mother is, as I think it is for most, a great joy and a great struggle.
Professionally, I have become engaged with the birth world and developed my expertise in perinatal mental health and trauma over the past 13 years. I have training from Pam England, Cheryl Beck, Amy Wenzel, and Karen Kleiman from the Postpartum Stress Centre in the United States- PPSC list of professionals. I have been a speaker at international, and local presentations on perinatal mental health and birth trauma therapy.
My experience includes working at Alberta Health Services as a therapist, YWCA, Employee assistance programs, Private Practice and Louise Dean Centre for young parents. It is my passion to be part of the work with individuals and families in the area of prenatal and postnatal mental health, birth trauma and birth story work. “In order to begin, you need only be as strong, as capable, as ready as you are right now.”
Training and Education:
- Post graduate Postpartum Stress Centre Training (Karen Kleiman)
- Member of EMDR Canada
- Speaker at International GOLD perinatal conference
- 2004 Bachelor of Social Work
- 2004 Membership with Alberta College of Social Workers
- 100+ hours of Narrative Therapy Training (including trauma & mental health)
- Postpartum Depression with Honey Watts
- 2010 Master of Social Work
- Birthing from Within- Birth Story Listening with Pam England
- PSI training (birth trauma, perinatal mood disorders).
- Intrusive thoughts (prenatal and postpartum) with Amy Wenzel
- Women’s Mental Health Conference
- Mindful Motherhood Certification
- EMDR Training (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing)
Find out more about our Calgary postpartum depression services.