Pre & Postnatal Counsellor
Shannon Kane MSW, BSW, RSW
I love working with perinatal women and their partners, life adjustment worries, general depression/anxiety concerns and trauma recovery. I know how hard it is to reach out for help. There will be no judgement in our work together. Your story is unique and it matters who listens and how they listen to this important story. I can help.
Many years ago, I was working with a person who was struggling with postpartum depression; I immediately knew this is the area I would love and would continue to work. Since then, I have become engaged with the birth world and developed my expertise in maternal mental health and trauma. I am a registered and licensed counsellor who specializes in birth trauma, prenatal and postpartum mental health. I am a mother of two busy boys.
I am an EMDR therapist and have a Master’s and Bachelor’s degree in Social Work. I have been a registered Social Worker since 2004 with the Alberta College of Social Work. I am a member of EMDR Canada. Additional training: Birth trauma counselling, Postpartum depression at the Postpartum Stress Centre, Mindful Motherhood, Perinatal Mental Health, Trauma work & Narrative therapy, EMDR Therapy and Narrative Therapy. My experience includes working at Alberta Health Services as a therapist, YWCA, Private Practice and Louise Dean Centre for young parents. It is my passion and my pleasure to work with women and families in the area of prenatal and postnatal mental health, birth trauma and birth story work. “In order to begin, you need only be as strong, as capable, as ready as you are right now.”
Training and Education:
- Post graduate Postpartum Stress Centre Training (Karen Kleiman)
- Member of EMDR Canada
- 2004 Bachelor of Social Work
- 2004 Membership with Alberta College of Social Workers
- 100+ hours of Narrative Therapy Training (including trauma & mental health)
- Postpartum Depression with Honey Watts
- 2010 Master of Social Work
- Birthing from Within- Birth Story Listening with Pam England
- Intrusive thoughts (prenatal and postpartum) with Amy Wenzel
- Women’s Mental Health Conference
- Mindful Motherhood Certification
- EMDR Training (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing)
Find out more about our Calgary postpartum depression services.